Strictly by the Numbers
No matter how you look it, the data from our web and network logs is compelling and even a bit alarming.
Consider the following about our Wi-Fi network last month:
- Total devices grew by more than 7%.
- Smart Mobile devices (think iPhone, Windows Mobile, etc) increased by 16%.
- 1 in 8 devices is a Smart Mobile device.
- We’ve seen nearly 90,000 unique devices on Wi-Fi since October, 2007.
- iPhone/iPod Touch use grew by over 22%.
- 1 in 12 devices is an iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Macs now account for 23% of Wi-Fi devices.
In any month these numbers would be extraordinary, but this was a summer month. A month when many students, faculty and staff are away. School starts again in a week, I wonder what the next couple of months will bring.
Let me know what you think.
In the mean time, I’ve updated the UW Mobile Usage Stats for your viewing pleasure.